Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Being Politically Correct Is Not Always Good

First, I would like to start off and say how much Nancy Mairs essay touched me. It really amazes me how people can take an illness such as Multiple Sclerosis and have the attitude that she has about it.

My favorite part about Mairs essay is when she talks about how she does not really like the other words that are associated with being crippled. She states that the word “cripple seems to [be] a clean word, straightforward and precise” (par. 3). I have always wondered how people who have a physical disability feel about the certain words that are used to describe them and after reading Maris essay it really made me think. Why has society coined these “politically correct” words? Is it to make the people, who those specific words affect, feel less bad about themselves? I have never met a “handicapped” person who actually liked being called handicapped. One of my friends who has a disability actually hates the word. She told me once that “just because I can not walk doesn’t make me any different than you.”

I can understand where the whole politically correct idea comes from. I think that it really stems from the idea that no one wants to offend anyone because everyone wants to avoid arguments, but why? I sometimes feel that using the so called “politically correct” term causes more damage than the word it is supposed to cover up. Maris actually gives a good example of this in her essay. In paragraph three where she talks about how the idea of political correctness “transformed countries from “undeveloped” to “under-developed,” then to “less developed,” and finally to “developing” nations.” This really makes sense to me, because even though people are trying to change the name of the situation it really has no effect. Like Maris said, “[The] people have continued to starve during the shift” (Par. 3). So why do people think that using the word “handicapped” or “differently abled” makes the person they are talking about free of their affliction.

So like I said before, why “beat around the bush” with how we use our words? I know this idea of being politically correct is not the main idea of Maris essay, but that is what really stuck out to me. Why should people like Maris be treated like children about their disability? Why do we have to sugar-coat everything we say to each other just to avoid “hurting” each others feelings? Thinking about this reminds me a little of William F. Buckley’s essay Why Don’t We Complain? Why do we have to avoid situations such as not to complaining to even the words we use?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen I agree with you. Actually I think all those "politically correct" words should jut be done away with. I think people with "disabilities" are just the same as we are and should be treated or caalled no different than we are.

Anonymous said...

We use "politically correct" terms because, if we don't, some activists or rights group will jump down our throats and make a big deal of it.

Now, I am not saying that we should say whatever comes to our minds without regard to other people's feelings, but today, people are overly sensitive.

We call people with disabilities "handicapped", gays are refered to as "homosexuals", and blacks are called "African-Americans". However, we don't call white people "European-Americans", strait people aren't called "heterosexuals", and people without disabilities are not "Unhandicapped".

People need to wake up and start treating everyone the same. Stop being so sensitive, people!

Anonymous said...

I think "politically correct" terms are necessary, in some cases.
Some individuals are sensative to somethings, and if the correct words are not used to describe them, thier physical or mental state, then they sometimes get offened.

On the other hand some people are not that "word sensative" and will not get offended.

All in all, I think "politically correct" words are necessary.