Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Profanity Today

In Alan Ehrenhalt essay, “Maledictoratory”, Alan talks about swearing and how it is used on television and everyday life. In my opinion Ehrenhalt is right people now in days swear in every sentence they say and I believe that is not right.

Swearing use to be a thing that people were ashamed to use or be heard using that type of language. It use to be believed that if you cursed around your parents or elders that you were disrespectful. Now in days people swear around their parents and with their parents and I feel that is unacceptable and it is also the media and society fault.

Once upon a time you would never her curse words or any foul language on television but that is all you can hear when you cut on the television. When Ehrenhalt uses comments made in interviews by coaches and football players to show how swearing is on television. I think that was important because it shows people that young kids idolize and watch on a regular bases are being exposed to swearing. That is the sad part because younger kids look up to them and want to be like them. Kids hear them swearing and think that it is not a bad and start swearing because their favorite player does it. But I doubt that the player and coaches think about that before they swear on television.

My farther would not use profanity around my younger sister and I when we were growing up but he used it around my younger brother and he is paying for it because my brother embarrass my father every time he goes out in public because he curses out loud and thinks it is funny. I blame that on my father because he should not use profanity and especially around a child. I used that example to show how profanity is even changing how people raise their kids.

So what do you think we as Americans should do? Should we try what Mussolini tried to do and make a law banning profanity? Or should we just leave it alone and just let Americans swear as much as they want to? Let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danielle, I agree with you that swearing is becoming a problem in the U.S., but to ban it as suggested would be worse. That would be like an incentive for children to swear, I remember it was for me anyway. Public TV may be on the rise with its use of profanity, but Movies have seen a decrease in the use of the "F" word, with exception to "The Departed." For Example watch a 90's R movie and a recent R movie. The use of the "F" word is not every sentence as it was in the 90's, in my opinion anyway.

Anonymous said...

Danielle I agree with on the subject about swearing because my little cousin looks up to me. So one day I said the word hell and she picked it up. I felt so bad because she got a beating for it the next day. people around me started swearing so at the age ten I started. I payed for it every time my mom found out. so if people would just stop swearing so much. We wouldn't have so much young people using. there Is a old saying "Monkey see Monkey do".Watch what you do cause someone is always watching.

Anonymous said...

Danielle, I agree with the fact that swearing is a big problem. It really does not make since to ban it because people are still going to use it. Its all in what people grow up around. Sometimes people just pick up on things that can lead to bad habits.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Danielle, swearing has become a serious problem. Much of society takes swearing as an everyday occurence. Adults aren't setting good examples for children because they will pick up almost anything that is taught to them. Also TV shows should have more strict censoring, especially since children are watching. It's horrible when someone could hear elementary-school-age children using profanity.

Anonymous said...

people are going to use those words just because they are people trying to ban it. It really doesn't make any sense because that is taking away from freedom of speech,right?