Monday, April 2, 2007

What Time Is It

In Waters's essay he says, "step out of the grid of time". What Waters is asking us to do is to not worry about time when we're reading something, but worry about the message that the author is trying to send out through his reading, which, sometimes is only notice by deep concentration into the writing.

I agree with Waters because America is based off of time alone. If you think about it,. . . . . . . . . . . . time is a number one priority for everybody, it is agreed that there isn't enough time in the world. To prove my point, how many of you skip right to the next word instead of pausing? Just because I put them pauses in my reading doesn't mean you are going to take time to stop reading to just think. I mean we never wait for anything, time is a burden.

Some examples are that; we get upset when somebody is still at the light when its green, we give them a honk to make them hurry up or we go around. Fast food restaurants that is made exactly for people who don't have time to sit down at the table in the morning and have a nice dinner with they're family or maybe they get up in time just to catch that early bird special at McDonald's. One of my favorite reasons for not having enough time is because of procrastination, we do what we feel is more important, then we rush on things that is less important like reading.

So I understand what Waters is saying, just take time to sit back and relax, crack open a book and read, don't rush think about what the author is saying, try to understand why the author is writing about the topic at hand, look into to the authors background see where the author's coming from.

Unless you don't have time!!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Charles, these days people are all bout time, and they say there is never enough. the fact of the problem is that like you said most people procrastinate on everything, and then complain when time runs out.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you also charles. Expect we procrastinate on things that we THINK are important, instead of the things that really are important and that causes a major problem for most of us.

Anonymous said...

I also agree with you charles. Except we procrastinate on things that we THINK are important, instead of the things that really are important and that causes a major problem for most of us

Anonymous said...

I agree with you charles. It is normal for us to rush when reading. I'm guilty of often even just skimming through the reading trying to find out what its all a bout without reading the whole thing word for word.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Charles, people these days are always in a hurry to do things no one has time to do the things that should have time spent on them. I can say that sometimes I am in a hurry and do things faster that I maybe should slow down. But, when it comes to reading, I love to read. Ever since I was little my teachers could never get me to put my novels down. My mothers said before I could even read I used to run my fingers over the lines pretending that I was reading. Yes, on top of it I am a very slow reader. I want to take the time to get what the author is saying and if I dont understand it I read it over. So I agree with you 100% with how you have interpreted the essay.

Anonymous said...

I am a book addict. I have been this way since about age 7. My father jokes that amazon.com must have my address memorized since I order so many books. However I was not always this way. Before I understood what books hold I was not interested in reading at all. Then one lazy summer day I had nothing to do (my cousin was out of town) so I picked up "Treasure Island". Skip ahead a day and I finally put the book down.

I learned many things from reading "Treasure Island". One thing I learned was that a good book can stop time. Now this may sound stupid if you have not ever read a good book. But if you have then you know what I am talking about.

The book captures your attention and everything else melts away. Until you pick up that perfect book, maybe a person will always be a speed reader. Until your own "Treasure Island" experience, perhaps you will continue to rely on CliffNotes.

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with Kayla. I like what she said about her "Teasure Island" experience. I have had this experience but it was a "Harry Potter" experience (yes it is cliche now but it is true). I tend to like Sci fi books. But I still have problems just reading for the heck of it. If I'm not really interested by the first few pages I usually don't pay much attention to the reading. My mind drifts to other things.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, time! very important. But it seems to me that time tricks us because when you need time you don't have it, when you don't need it you have it. When you are bored or have nothing to do time goes very slow, but when you are having lots of fun time goes as fast as it can!
Anyway we should sit back and read slowly to understand the meaning of the reading.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Charles. I know when I used to read I would speed read. I would try to read as fast as I could just to finish the book. Now I understand the importance of obtaining the reading.

Anonymous said...

I just think this is a case of how good you can understand something.
Everyone has their own pace, whether you read fast or slow, its all up to how good you can understand something.

Anonymous said...

Charles makes a good point. Our modern society is so fast paced that people don't have time to soak things in. Especially when they read. People no longer do things for a purpose, but rather do things just to get them done. For example, when people read for something other than pleasure, then they simply scan the surface in order to finish faster. Instead, people's purpose for reading should be to comprehend it deeply, not just to finish it.