Monday, April 2, 2007

Beware. There is reading ahead!

In Lindsay Water’s essay he talks about how there is a reading crisis that is leading to “declining literacy in America.” While I was reading his essay one of his points that struck me as interesting is where he was talking about how there are graduate school professors that are putting more emphasis on methods of teaching reading that do not involve the actual reading part.

This really made me think that there is something wrong with the whole idea of graduate school (and any type of learning environment in general) if an English literature professor teaches literature without his students actually reading anything. I mean, isn’t that the point of a literature class, to read and analyze the material?

This point that Water’s brings up really made me think, why would a graduate school professor of English literature try to take an easy route of teaching literature to his students that are there to learn this?

My personal opinion on this subject is that people are trying to change with the times. We want everything faster such as our internet, our cars and even our food, so why not make reading and learning how to read a faster process? The answer to this is simple we are just impatient.

Learning how to read is a long process that should not be sped up in order to “save time” so why do teachers in the grade schools think that every child entering into the first grade already knows how to read? Is it because teachers and professors alike do not want to read anymore because it takes away from their “teaching” time? Reading should be important to everyone, from children to even those English literature professors. It helps children’s imaginations grow and adults to keep theirs.

So what do you guys think about the points Lindsay Waters makes in his essay? Do you agree with him or do you think he is just overreacting to the whole “reading-crisis” situation?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with in that I was totally shocked when I read that Graduate teachers are not actually having reading in their English classes. How are you to learn anything about Literature if you do not read anything?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Kristen that is absurd for teachers to try and skip reading in literature classes. I mean read the name of the class or our we to lazy to do that.

Anonymous said...

I think that Waters is being accurate with his observation of professors trying to skip the actual reading process and trying ot make their students not read at all. It seems that many students don't bother reading at all they just attempt to read around the reading.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with rachel in that whats the point of teaching or even having a literature class if no one is to read. Reading is very important in our lifes if we like it or not and should be taught. In my experience though i have never taken a lit. class and not had to read something if not a lot and if I was taking that class i would expect to have to read.

Anonymous said...

I agree that there is a reading crisis and something must be done. I used to not read anything at all but now I'm trying as hard as I can to read and read because it's important.
It is very shocking that Graduate teachers don't use reading as the or a principal tool. How did this happen? It's just not right!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Waters 100%. Reading is a big problem in America right now and not many people don’t even care. They don’t think it is not affecting them but they are wrong because illiteracy affects everybody just in many different ways.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kristen and Waters, there really is a reading crisis going on. I like your explanation of the problem using the conecept that modern society is the one to blame. Indeed, we don't have time for anything and want things done the faster and more effectively, and that is even affecting the way teachers plan their classes.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree and disagree with Waters.

While I agree that it is absurd for Literature professors to teach literature without requiring the students to read the book, I think that he is overreacting a bit.

I would not call it a crisis when people "speed-read." It may be unwise in some situations, but it is possible to learn while reading quickly.

Sure, people do not read enough, but with all of the things that people have going on, sometimes it just isn't possible to read a lot.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kristen. I believe that reading is not only to educate, but to help us explore our cultural and liberal minds ( as i mentioned in one of my papers for barnette). For teachers to skip that, makes me question, why do we come to schoo in the first place if they're not going to teach?