Monday, April 16, 2007

Thirst to Learn or Not

Frederick Douglass and Malcolm X both grew up a situation is which it was hard to learn to read and write. Douglass was a slave and Malcolm X was imprisoned when he was twenty. Douglass learned to read and write by copying directions from a local shipyard and competing against other friends to see what they knew. He used these competitions to further his education. Malcolm X began to read and write by copying words from a dictionary at the prison. After learning so many words he began to read other works that were available to him, including black history, which he had a “thirst” for.

Now on the other hand, other students were forced to attend school. I was able to learn to read and write in school. The government makes kids go to school until they are seventeen and by that time most students are in the eleventh grade with only one grade left. I think nowadays kids take this for granted. What would it be like if you were not able to read or write? Would there be a void? Would you have the need to fill the void?

In my opinion, there would be the need to learn to read and write. I would feel like I was being left behind in life. And I would not be able to keep up with society. I would not be able to read if I wanted to talk to friends from a different state unless it was on the phone.
What would you do in the situation? Would you have to fill the void or would it matter to you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could definitely foresee myself wanting to learn to read and write if I was never taught it. Without reading and writing in todays society, there are innumerable amounts of necessary actions that could not be performed.

A few examples of this would be taxes, signs, job applications, and any instruction manuals. Reading and writing are a necessity in the mass media culture today.

Anonymous said...

I think that if I had not learned to read or write there would be some kind of void. The reason for is I can get my thoughts out better on a piece of paper than I could talking out loud. My mind goes 90 to nothing and I end up stumbling over my words. So when I have to get in front of a class I have to write out my whole presentation and read from it because if I didnt I would sound like I had no idea what I was talking about. I love to read and when I was younger I loved to write. So definitely if I was not able to read or write I would try to learn.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I know that if I was forbidden to learn to read or write I would long to fill that void. I see written word as one of mankind's greatest achievements. To not have the ability to read or write would kill something in my soul. I know others do not have the same strong feelings for education; however, we all must admit that without the ability to read and write our lives would be drastically different.

Anonymous said...

I could certainly see myself wanting to fill that void. I love reading, especially relateable, non-fiction books ! Being able to read and write are very essential to life and without it, I would feel like Im missing out on life.

I do view being able to read and write and attend college as a blessing. Everyone does not have the chance to experience these things, in the past and even in today's time.

Anonymous said...

I believe I would have to fill the void of not reading and writing. The world today is based on reading and writing. This class, street signs, these are just a few examples on how reading and writing effect our everyday lives. And if you couldn't read or write, you would have a definate disadvantage in life.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Matthew that I would have to teach myself to read and write if no one ever taught me. I would want to learn so I can read signs to go places and learn. Reading and writing is the most useful part of our lives.