Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I'm Thankful

In Frederick Douglass's "Learning to Read and Write", he tells his story of how he came to be an educated person. It was a long and hard struggle for him. His mistress went from being "kind and tender-hearted" to her "tiger-like fierceness". She realized that slaves were not supposed to be treated like "regular human beings" so she decided to begin to treat him like a slave. He attempted to try to read and write on his own, and in the end, he came out victorious.

Going back to my childhood, I do not remember a time when I was not reading or writing. The school I grew up in thought it very important to teach that to us students at a very young age. I can't imagine not being able to be allowed to read or write, let alone not have a teacher to help me out. I consider it a proveledge in the United States to have all of the opportunities that we have out there for us.

I have been in classrooms when the children moan and groan when they hear their teacher tell them that they have a story to read for homework, or an essay to write in class. I truly believe that these children do not understand the hate and adversity people like Frederick Douglass had to go through to get us to the point we're at today. Were it not for him and so many other people, we may not even have the privelege to read and write freely today. Because of this, I truly am thankful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Rebekah, I am thankful that we have the opportunity to be able to read and write freely. I do remember a time when I couldn't read or write and I wanted to so bad. When I finally learned I used to write stories all the time and comics because I loved to draw also. If I was not writing I was reading, something else I loved to do as a child. So I agree with everything that you have said in your blog.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rebekah also, I feel that being able to read is very important in everyday life. I love to read and do not know what I would do if I couldn't read.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bekah. Reading is useful and important to everyone. It opens the imagination and widens your knowledge. reading and writing is looked at as a source of power for those who cannot do so.