Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Oh No....More Swearing.

In Allan Ehrenhalt’s article “Maledictoratory”, He expresses how our society uses more swearing now than it did in past generations. Which I cannot help but to agree with. Swearing for most people has become part of his or her daily vocabulary. Without uses of certain words they may feel restricted of how they are suppose to act and what they are use to saying.

It is hard to avoid being around people who use profanity, because it seems as if they make a hobby of swearing. People seem to forget that not everyone wishes to hear how they want to express themselves. I am not saying that everyone who uses profanity is evil but other people may wish you would keep your “foul” language to yourself. Like last week on my way to class, some guys were using profanity and even though it was a conversation amongst themselves, I did not want to hear every bad word that came out of their mouths. Was I wrong for feeling this way? For the most part, I believe people swear in order to prove a point of; I am grown and if I chose to swear then it is my decision, so be it.

I once watched this movie on television where one of the actress made a comment about people who used profanity which I cannot help but to support her. She states “profanity is a sign of an ignorant mind trying to express itself"(Beauty Show), and I believe people who use profanity majority of the time does not see how it makes them look. In my opinion, if people took a good look at how foolish they look, than maybe they may stop swearing for good.

Without out further do, I am not saying that I have solved the problem of the use of profanity like Mussolini thought he had. In reality, it is up to the individual if they wish to cut back or even stop the use of profanity. Like Ehrenhalt states at the end of his article, “…God only knows” (par. 23).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Simone. I think that today's society has learned to swear more than in the past. I also think that the language and the way people speak has changed in our society. For example, back in the day people would talk formally with respect to each other and they would use words that we dont even know what they mean today. Now in this country people talk casual as if they knew each other for a long time and the only place professional language is used is in a professional job such as a business.
I also think that parents have stoped teaching their children not to swear that is why it is more common to hear it anywhere.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Simone and Iyzetth. Sweraing has become very common and is accepted. If you swear in front of someone they most likely won't give you any grief. I hear people swear all the time, to express all emotions besides anger. I get annoyed at hearing people cuss all the time. I always heard it growing up so it slips out sometimes, So parents should definitley take control of their kids.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Simone and Caylenne. Swearing has become so common in todays society. Many people swear for no logical reason. Young kids are swearing everyday because they hear it from their parents in the house.

Anonymous said...

I think that profanity has become part of the American culture to the point that if it were to be banned, it would be like banning the English language in America.

Superbad said...

This is so god-damn ridiculous, why are you being such a little bitch about it? Swearing is a normal thing to do, and people from all walks of life swear. And you feel offended when people that aren't even talking to you are swearing when you walk by? You're such a huge fucking pussy that needs to get a life!
It's not true that we swear more than people used to, it's a load of bullshit from sad nostalgic people who are stuck in the past.
And you really believe parents are teaching their kids that swearing is ok? No they're not, kids pick it up at school and no matter what parents do they won't unlearn it.
Deal with it, or fuck off.
Love :-)
Love