Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In Mair's essay, "On Being A Cripple", she discusses how she suffers from MS. This condition is very serious and the symptoms are harsh. However, she continues to have a positive outlook. Many people are inspired by stories such as this and say "if I ever get diagnosed with a serious disease, I'm not going to let it keep me down. I'm going keep a positive outlook on life".

However, I found it hard to believe that people who currently have a negative outlook would suddenly just change after given more bad news. Sure it would be nice for it to be that simple to always have a good attitude, but if people aren't thankful for all of the blessings that they have, then it would be a lot harder to be content with life if you have a horrible disease such as MS.

Therefore, people should try their hardest to keep a positive outlook on life no matter what life throws at them. I believe this is Mair's main purpose, to motivate and encourage. Therefore be thankful for what you have.

No comments: