Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Time and Place for Formal and Informal Language

In Adam Sternbergh essay, he discussed the use of slang by rap artists and he compares it to "business jargon." He describes the words in his essay to be fun and exciting. I think that the use of slang is formal whenever your around people who you feel comfortable and speak the same way as well. Sternburg uses rap artist 50 cent phrase "bub", he says that 50 cent didn't came up with the word but he popularized it.

Many young kids are listening to rap music at an early age. When kids listen to all the slang that is used in the songs they pick up on the words and start using them as well. So, when they go to school the teachers may have a problem because the kid don't know how to speak English language very formal. Young teens are becoming addicted to the use of slang that whenever their talking they really don't seem to realize that their talking informally. There is always a time and place to present yourself formally and informally. Also, Sternbergn stated that a group of young teens were shouting in a store, "Wal-Mart's got all the sick DVDs, yo!" Now this kind of act by a group of young teens is very informal and they shouldn't be talking like that unless their among a group of teens who speak just like them.

Sternbergn wrote that slang is becoming useful. He stated that nearly 15 years ago, Chuck D of Public Enemy used the slang term "dis" for disrespect in a phrase. CNN is now encouraging the use of "dis" in broadcasting. The term "dis" have now been included in the Oxford English Dictionary clearly filling a cultural void.

He later says that some rappers cant really rap. He says that they can't rhyme and they suck. He uses P. Diddy rap, " Now bump that, I pump that/Girl bring it to me, bump that", he says that he doesnt realize that he's using the same words repeatedly and has no rhyme.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of how creative our languge has become. Without it, we'd be speaking formal, boring, standard english. However Aaron, I agree with you when you say that there is a time and a place for speaking formal and informal language. In a professional setting, we can't walk in offices greeting our employers saying, "What it do, I'm here for dat job you need me fill up, fa shizzle"

Anonymous said...

I also agree with you Aaron that there's a place for formal and informal language. As people say "there's time for everything." A time to be informal should be among your friends not in school.

I agree with Shekinah, it would be boring if we spoke standard English all the time. Without slangs, young people would not be able to express themselves with humor.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Shekinah I love how creative our lanuage has become. I think it is good to be creative in use of language but we just need to know the appropriate time to use it. Thats why I also agree with Aaron because there is a time and place for everything and slang should not be used in the work place or classroom.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sekinah I do enjoy our language. When we are with our friends I know some people do not want to talk formal all the time. I know I wouldn't want to speak the way. Its a time and a place for everything so just because we are bringing fun to our language doesn't mean its bad. Itnjust mean that we are creative.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Aaron, a person can't use slang wherever you go. If a child went to school and said something about "look at my ga-donk ga-donk donk" how do you expect a teacher or faulty to look at that child? The teacher isn't going to know if the child spoke some type of code for foul language. Therefore, using informal language or slang should be someting that is kept between friends.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Aaron. There is a time a place for everything. Personally, when I hear someone say things like "for sizzle" all I can do is laugh and later, when they do switch to the standard english in a conversation I find it hard to take them seriously.

Anonymous said...

I find this issue kind of hard to make a comment, because I really cant speak English so well yet. Nevertheless I think that speaking alot of informal English will affect people's knowledge to seperate the two languages. Sooner or later people cant even tell the difference between informal and formal language. People will use informal words and sentences when they should write formally. At least this is what is happening unfortunately in my mother's language; Finnish.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Aaron in that certain language and phrases should be used at different times. Also how you speak in public even with your friends can influence how people think of you and can even reflect on your parents. I also agree that much more young teens are speaking in slang terms today and many you cant even understand. I believe that how you speak or present yourself shows intellegence and respect for yourself and others.

Anonymous said...

I agree. There have always been formal and informal situations that require different uses of language. What's wrong is that kids aren't really recognizing where to be formal and where not to be.

The great thing about language is that it's always susceptible to change and is constantly evolving.

Anonymous said...

Aaron I disagree with you when you said that “slang is formal whenever your around people who you feel comfortable and speak the same way as well.” Slang is informal no matter who you are speaking to, but if you were with people who do use slang then you would more likely use slang yourself.

Also think that adding “dis” to the Oxford English Dictionary just shows how English has evolved. The language as a whole has become less formal in some cases, as well as people in their everyday speech

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Aaron. There is a time and place for everything. Our language would be very boring if everyone spoke standard English.

Anonymous said...

I also agree with you, Aaron. There is always a time and place, in which a person needs to speak formally. For example, When someone goes to a job interview they need to speak more formally than they do when they're at home and/or around their friends.

Anonymous said...

Language is a great a wonderful thing. Formal language shouldn't be spoken all the time. You have to let loose some times. If all you are concerned with the way you are speaking you can't be comfortable speaking. There is time to talk formal as well as there are times you shouldn't speak formal. Different people come from different languages and the way the speak tells a lot about there backgrounds.