Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Can We Trust the Government?

Baron’s article states “negative psychology works with children, works with speed limits, and worked in the Garden of Eden.” Do people really use negative psychology to make us do certain objectives? Yes, I believe that the government uses negative psychology in people’s daily life. The government tries to persuade that smoking is bad with the anti-smoking ads. Also the government tries preventing smoking but the truth is the government wants people to smoke. The average deaths a year from smoking are 440,000 in the United States. If this many people died before they drew their social security checks, just imagine how much money would be saved and used for pork barrel projects by politicians. The largest debt in the government’s budget is social security. It would be unfair for the government to just drop social security all together. President Bush came up with the best solution for the problem but no one wants to listen to what our President says. So what better way can the government fix this problem then using negative psychology on American citizens. If it works then the politicians win if not then the politicians will just use more of the tax payer’s money for pork barrel projects.

I do not agree 100 percent with negative psychology but in this situation I believe it is working. When the government makes a mistake they will not omit to their error. Instead the government tries to cover it up. Just like this situation, there is a mistake but the government will not omit to the mistake. They would rather people die off to save them money. One person has the best plan to resolve all of the issues with social security but since he is our President we should not listen. Instead we should let the politicians get away with their dirty work.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will, I will not disagree that social security is our governments biggest debt because I am ignorant on that subject. However, I will disagree with your view that our government is the solo voice on the slow process of eliminating smoking whether it is negative psychology or not. Most of the anti-smoking campaigns are not government funded or sponsored. If you truly believe in what you have stated, then how would you explain the government banning smoking in selected public places? Perhaps this act is intended to make them seem more noble against the fight of cigarettes but I suppose their intentions will be made more apparent by their future decisions. Will the government continue to spread the banning of smoking in the future? I think not.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with you Will too. I really don't think that the government uses negative psychology in this issue. The costs of dealing with these diseases that come from smoking are alot aswell. I think that the government would be better off without smoking, and that is why they try to convince people not to do it.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to disagree with Will as well. An individual that lives in America has the choice to smoke or use any tobacco products at that matter. The government rarely puts forward the funds for the advertisements and if they didn’t want tobacco use happening with such a widespread population they would be working in congress to ban it all together like other drugs. The government is not allowing smoking to continue so more Americans can die off and they save money in the long run on social security; if they were doing this it would place a hamper this countries economy. Even though the social security issue is one of the leading causes for debt, it is just a small part at that. Think about how much is put aside for relief in other countries and how much is spent on the people who are living off of the “government” the taxpayer’s dollar.

Anonymous said...

First of, Will, I will say one thing about your viewpoint: it is quite interesting. It reminded me of the guys trying to say that Section 32 is a hiding place for aliens and that we never really had anyone on the moon.

I don't think the government has a master plan to save money by discouraging people from smoking so that they will smoke. It's too complex for a politician to even come up with, much less carry out.

Besides, like Tyler said, most anti-smoking ads aren't put out by the government.

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know if the government is trying to get America to smoke by telling us not to. But I think Will bring up an interesting point. Can you be so sure to say that they aren't? I will say that I believe if they make a mistake then they try to cover it up. What would America come to if the government was wrong? America might cease to exist.

Anonymous said...

I can not agree or disagree with you will being the fact that I do not smoke and I am not influenced much by tv, but I will say that the goverment will do a lot to make them look good in the eye of the mass. The idea you propose is not as far-fetched as it may sound.

Anonymous said...

Well actually Will, I get what you are saying, but is that really what the government wants, for us to stop smoking? Why is that considered "Negative Psychology"? In the end, it's our decision anyway. Like I've said before, we allow the upper class, politicians, and many others to handle us. We want this, we want that, but no one really wants to go out and get it. Instead of "Negative Psychology" they need to use prayer.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Will I goind to disagree also. Will you pointed out some interesting facts, but I just couldn't agree when you said,"the governmant uses negative psychology." If you were to give factual examples maybe I could have understood your what you were trying to come across.

Anonymous said...

I must also say that I disagree as well. People have the right to smoke and if they die, then its because of them not wanting to quit smoking to live a healthier life. I am not aware of how big of an influence the government has on social security but i do know that negative psychology does not make us do anything we don't want to do.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Felicia. If people want to smoke then they can smoke. there are plenty of warnings out there, along with time dedicated in the schools to cigeratte prevention. Everyone knows it's bad and they know the consequences of smoking.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Greg. Everyone knows the danger of smoking. But you have thr right to do whatever you want to.